Business Process Management for Healthcare (BPM+ Health)
Clinical healthcare providers have been challenged to leverage and disseminate evidence-based best practices at the point of care and serve an increasingly mobile patient population as it navigates among sites and institutions of care.
BPM+ Health™ is addressing these concerns head-on by establishing a community of practice based upon the use of open, standards-based notations (brought together under the umbrella of a style guide) which allows for all types of health organizations, professional societies, and vendors to document their care pathways and workflows so that they are sharable, discoverable, and in the future can be computer-consumable (computable). This approach results in guidelines that have been demonstrated to be more accurately expressed, more internally consistent, and more consumable than paper or pdf-style counterparts.
Members of BPM+ Health are motivated by the opportunity to improve the quality and consistency of patient outcomes by applying business process and modeling techniques to the point-of-care of delivery.
By putting into place industry approaches and tools based on broadly supported standards and supported by an open ecosystem, we can collectively advance the state-of-the-practice across the health sector, more effectively capturing and communicating best practices and knowledge in a common way, and making it easier for providers to adopt and apply best practices.
Access our seminal publication, Field Guide for Shareable Clinical Pathways Version 1.0. The guide applies three OMG business process standards to represent clinical pathways that define distinct aspects of care workflow and decision-making: Business Process Model and Notation™ (BPMN™), Case Management Model and Notation™ (CMMN™) and Decision Model and Notation™ (DMN™).
The goals of the BPM+ Health community are to:
- Establish an open ecosystem devoted to improving national and international health by maximizing the effective sharing and advancement of EBM practices and knowledge through use of industry standards and best-practices;
- Develop best practices around modeling and sharing clinical pathways, clinical guidelines, and other healthcare knowledge;
- Promote the use of standards such as BPMN, DMN, and CMMN to produce deliverables to maximize their usefulness and shareability and to promote their adoption;
- Improve adoption experience for organizations seeking to consume and institute the use of documented best-practices;
- Foster collaboration and alignment with other standards development organizations (SDOs) and relevant work in the healthcare industry.
BPM+ Health is a community managed by the Object Management Group® (OMG®) an international, open membership, not-for-profit technology standards consortium.